Projects: Tags: .NET: Spaceroids

Information

Timeline: Auguest – September 2010
Application Type: Game
Status: Complete
Technologies: C#, DirectX
Partners: None

This game started out as a project to learn Direct3D in .NET. I decided that I'd write some code to generate a sphere and texture it. This turned out to be easier than I had thought, so I decided to make a simple game out of it. The art is pretty simple, but then again it doesn't need to be complicated. My intent was to learn about the overall construction of DirectX games, not to concentrate on the artwork. It turned out to be fairly simple because I'd already learned about OpenGL, and most of the concepts transferred easily.

The game itself is a clone of the arcade classic Asteroids. I threw in some custom touches and extensions, mostly related to the different bonuses you can pick up. In addiotion to Direct3D, I also used DirectInput and DirectSound for the appropriate components. It was fun to look on FreeSound for sound clips that would make good sound effects.

I was able to re-use some of the code from my earlier C# game Bricks, namely the code that handles high scores. The rest of it was written from scratch as DirectX doesn't really work the same way for games as the Windows Forms graphics API.

Gallery